Friday, May 17, 2013

Two Angels for my Birthday

.... Well I've thought long and hard about how to follow up my previous post. My birthday began so lovely, my amazing husband, brought me flowers. But one of the more touching sentiments was (as per ritual) he took the boys to the dollar store to let them pick out whatever they wanted to give me. I was so touched that this year I did not get a tub of fart noise making goo, or a ice cream cone squeaky doggie toy, I didn't even get the joke bloody finger. The boys all brought me flowers. The plastic brightly colored ones that catch a child's eye much like a bright pink feather boa... That no I did not get but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for next year. No, seriously, I was touched because I realized how much they have grown up. They recognize that daddy brings mommy flowers on special days and they want to be like him. They have an amazing man to model themselves after.

Now, how does my title fit? At what I thought to be the end of an already eventful evening, we got home to find that Granbury, Texas, home to my Grandmother, Aunt, and Uncle had just been hit by a severe tornado.... After hours of family members across the country trying to call, and piece together what was going on, we were told that they found my Aunt and she was being taken to Ft. Worth in critical condition.

"Aunt Betsy...  Makes the best sugar cookies"  - everyone with taste buds

Throughout the night, my Grandmother and Uncle would remain on the unaccounted for list. The next morning however, we were finally given the news that my Grandmother , and Uncle Tommy were confirmed dead  in heaven. Even as I write this the cut is so deep and so fresh that the tears that sting my eyes are like a relentless river.

"Who's is ever going to give us presents like Grandma did... Where will we ever find a pocket watch that doubles as a survival knife and has an electronic version of the King James Bible imbedded in it" - anyone lucky enough to call Marjorie "Ann" Davis, Grandma

My Aunt is going to pull through, she has breaks, bruises, gashes, and scrapes... I'm sure the worst wound is her broken heart. Her lover has gone to be with our Lord.my heart breaks for all she will have to go through as she heals especially not having her constant "Rock".

"Uncle Tommy, is one of the coolest, most steady men I know. He is a mountain of a man who is both gentile and fun loving ... Unless you stand in front of the TV while the game is on. Yet at the same time he has a fierce undercurrent that makes you feel so safe just so long as you are on the same team"- Me... A loving Niece who will miss him very much.

So there you have it... For my birthday I got not 1 but 2 new angels... Bitter sweet, but I choose to trust in my Heavenly Father...

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted". - Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment